Monday, February 4, 2008

Materialism

Well folks... there has been a lot going on in my life the past couple weeks.
Struggle has definately been something the Lord has placed in my life and is teaching me through still.

Another area the Lord has really been dealing with in my heart lately is materialism. I could go on about this forever, but I only have a few minutes so i'll keep this as brief and to the point as possible.
Our culture has literally began to make me sick to my stomach when it comes to our consumeristic mindset. I read in Brennan Manning's book, The Signature of Jesus recently that most of our conversations revolve around consuming; what are we going to eat, where are we going to shop, the new phone or ipod we just got, the sale that is going on downtown, blah blah blah, etc. What is this life really all about? If we judged that by the things we talk about, one would have to assume that it's all about things we buy and how we look.
The Word says that out of the abundance of the heart, man speaks... well, what's really in our hearts?

I hope to expound on this subject a little more in the next few posts but I just wanted to put these thoughts out there.

Under His Mercy,
Shannon

No comments: