Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Struggle

Recently I've been thinking about struggle a lot, probably because I feel like that's all i've been doing.

I've wondered why it really is that the Lord allows us to go through struggles. When I'm running low on money and I don't know if i'll be able to afford to go home over our next break, or when a little is getting under my skin, or when I'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do next year, or when I have a hard conversation with my parents... what is the Lord's purpose in all of these things?

I told one of my littles the other day, as she is going through a rough patch, that the Lord allows us to go through difficult circumstances in order to grow us and conform us more into His image. I told her that he is preparing her for something that lies ahead that she can't see. I told her that she should rejoice in her struggles because that is when other's will see Christ's power through her more and more. I told her the Lord loves us too much to leave us where we are, so he allows us to go through hard times for our own good, even though it may seem difficult in the moment.

I found myself remembering this conversation when I have been going through some rough patches recently. I know in my heart I believe all of these things to be true, but it is so hard to live that out. Instead, I find myself retreating and becoming angry with God, questioning him, "Don't you see what's going on down here???"

O ye of little faith.
I hear him say in that still small voice.

Lord, increase my faith.

In Him,
Shannon

No comments: